Elder Healthy Home Demonstration Project
The “Elder Healthy Home” is a demonstration project showing that healthy, energy-efficient, sustainable homes can be made affordable for seniors in the Puget Sound region.
In addition to its green aspects, the two bedroom, single-family home incorporates universal design features.
- One-story, Two bedrooms, 1-3/4 bathrooms
- 1,304 square feet + 273 square feet covered porches
- Universal Design, Slab on grade, Accessible ramp
- Non-toxic interior materials
- Passive solar design, radiant heat floors
- EnergyStar fixtures & appliances, on-demand hot water
- Integrated design, durable healthy home, using
- Washington’s Evergreen, BuiltGreen 3-star, EnergyStar criteria.
- Sustainable low-impact site development. Educational outreach,
respect for elder comfort, and enhance Tribal community.
- Low-energy fixtures, orientation, innovative heating,
- cooling, & tight building envelope incorporating:
- Roof overhangs: avoid summer & gain winter sun
- Natural daylighting, natural ventilationEnergyStar lighting & appliances
- High-efficiency radiant hydronic heat
- Insulated, double-pane, low-E windows
- Blown cellulose insulation, minimize air leakage
- Low-flow plumbing fixtures, washers and toilets
- Native plants and drought-tolerant landscaping
- Materials from the Cascadia Region, where possible
- Recycled content roofing, concrete, and insulation
- Advanced framing, pre-cut lumber, & design to minimize waste
- Sustainably harvested and certified wood products
- Non-toxic, safe-living materials, paints, and finishes
- Climate-specific design & materials to prevent mold
- Alternatives to PVC & urea-formaldehyde materials
- Fresh air exchanges
- Universal Design: wide hallways, accessible rooms